NaNoWriMo Begins

Day 1 of writing for NaNoWriMo is complete, and as you can see to the left I stopped at a little over 3500 words.  I wanted to stop at 5000 words, but it's already past 2:00 P.M. here in Denver and I don't want to settle into a routine of using Nano as an excuse not to get editing done on book 1.  Besides, there were a few things that slowed me down today:
  • I got up 45 minutes late because Michael decided to sleep in an extra hour this morning.  How could I possibly let him do that alone?
  • I forgot to set up the manuscript template.  Not that it set me back that much.  Was just that I found I've made some changes to another manuscript but hadn't applied the changes to the template I use.
  • I got really distracted and had fun adding word count and a blow-by-blow in the right column.  Oh, and updating my word count on the Nano site, which was running really slow, but that's to be expected the first couple days as we're all so excited to start.  
  • Had some trouble finding character information I thought I'd transitioned back over to the  website where I manage background on novels.  I'm really messy about maintaining character profiles, but I found an amazing set of questions about novel characters in Dynamic Characters, How to Ceate Personalities that Keep Readers Captivated by Nancy Kress.  Now it's just a matter of creating a template out of it and using it.
  • Like in the 3Day, the challenge of filling in backstory on a new novel in a series has reared its ugly head.   There's got to be some easy way to carry the info over or create a checklist of stuff the reader needs to know.  I guess I'll create it for book 4.
All in all, it was a fun day of new writing and I'm looking forward to starting day 2.

0 comments:

2009 W. J. Howard - Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress theme by Dirty Blue